Wednesday, October 3, 2007

He may be little, but he's mighty!



Check out how much my boys look alike! Here's a picture of Ben, followed by a pic of Jack (with Daddy) at about the same age. Jack was four pounds heavier than Ben, but they still look a lot alike!
BENJAMIN



JACK as a newborn with DADDY

Sorry that I haven't posted updates for the past few days. There's really been nothing new to report. But now we have good news!

Our little Mighty Mouse is doing well. Yesterday, Ben's nasal c-pap was removed and he was put on the nasal cannula for a few hours before they decided he could do without it. So at least for now, he's breathing completely on his own! His IV was removed a couple of days ago, so if he continues to do well for the next several days, he could be moved to the Level 2 NICU to just "feed and grow!"

It was wonderful to really look at Benjamin without all of the equipment on his face. (He'll keep his little mask until he no longer needs his feeding tube.) I looked back at Jack's newborn pictures and realized just how much Ben resembles his big brother! Ben even likes to peek at us with one eye, just like Jack did.

I've received a lot of calls and emails asking how the rest of us are doing.....
--Jack is starting to have separation anxiety and cries whenever he thinks I'll leave him. But he's happy enough as soon as I'm gone, and seems to be handling all of this remarkably well.
--Bryant has just started a new position at work, in addition to keeping up with his MBA assignments. I'd say he's dealing with the most stress of any of us.
--I'm healing well and on very little pain medication. Other than being tired all the time, I'm fine. I spend a lot of time at the hospital holding Ben as much as I can, then I'm up all night long to pump milk. Please pray for my milk supply to improve so that I can keep up with his growing appetite!

So we're all doing well. Thank you for your continued prayers!

3 comments:

VanNewkirk/Calkins Family said...

Wow - I can't believe who well he's doing! 2 weeks old and already heading to "feed and grow" - amazing. I'll be thinking about you while I'm hooked up to my pump as well - good luck with it! (10 1/2 months and counting - I don't want to know how many hours I've spent with that machine...)

Unknown said...

Hey Dawn...i remember on a breastfeeding website a while back that eating oatmeal (or anything else that has a reputation for lowering cholesterol) seems to help boost some women's supplies. That to me is much simpler than taking any of the supplements that are recommended, and it is based on the same science (the supplements people take are known for lowering cholesterol as well). Anna and I are cranking along with her breastmilk at 10 1/2 months...so I'll be praying for you while we do our milk time. -Michelle Li

Jen said...

That's a lot of hair for such a little one! He's adorable!