Saturday, September 22, 2007

Good Day for Baby Ben

Today was a very good day for our little man. He was taken off the respirator and put back on the nasal c-pap (just a little positive pressure to keep his airways open). He's on 23% oxygen (21% is room air), so he's breathing almost entirely on his own. He's no longer on dopamine for his blood pressure, so they removed his arterial line--giving us one little hand to hold. X-rays show that he probably has a little pneumonia, so he's on antibiotics. But a spinal tap and blood work showed no signs of infection. He may need a little light therapy to fight jaundice, but that's not unusual. He's doing very well for a baby his age and size.

The best part of the day was when Bryant and I visited Ben late this afternoon. I touched Ben's little hand, and he held onto my finger for a long time. It was my first real touch with my sweet boy--a very special moment.

2 comments:

alovelace said...

I am so pleased to hear that he is doing well! I know how scary all of this is and can't imagine how hard it must be to see your sweet baby hooked up to all of those lines and machines. Your family is an inspiration and it is so amazing to see you standing firm in God's promise that all things work together for the good of those that love Him. You bring tears to my eyes with every update! Our thoughts and prayers are with you - let us all know when you're ready for visitors!

May the Lord bless and protect your family,
Jeremy, Amber and Sami

Unknown said...

Awww....the image of his little hand holding onto your finger brings tears to my eyes. Glad to hear he's doing well, and glad you're able to get down to be with him now. *HUGS*

-Paulina