Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Life is good!

Life is good today because...
1. I got to take a shower!
2. I get to eat solid food!
3. My sweet Jack came for a visit and snuggled next to me in bed while we ate lunch.
4. A very well-known perinatologist did another ultrasound and said that Ben looks great right now. (more details below)
5. Today is Bryant's 34th birthday!!!

So here's the nitty gritty for those of you who like details....Ben's weight is still estimated to be 2 lbs. 9 oz. (50th percentile). All of his organs look great, including his lungs. I have almost no amniotic fluid left, although it replenishes and leaks out in batches. Despite this, Ben seems just fine. 80-85% of women whose water breaks at 28 weeks deliver within the first week. 90-95% deliver within two weeks. The remaining 5% can go much longer. (Pray that we're in the third group!) If I had the c-section today, Ben would have an 80-85% chance of survival without significant neural defects. Praise God!!

The perinatologist commented that he's very happy to see that I'm calm and in positive spirits, whereas he comes across other mothers who are climbing the walls with worry. He said that staying calm is the very best thing I can do to help Ben stay put. I started to explain that this peace comes from prayer, an understanding of God's power and grace, and the calming influence of the Holy Spirit. (Plus the prayers and support of our amazing network of friends and family!) I don't think he cared for my opinions, but it was a nice conversation! Please pray that God will use our family to minister to those around us in this hospital and at Texas Children's after Ben is born.

A neonatologist should stop by this afternoon to talk about Ben's prospects. I'll try to post an update about that conversation.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

This is such good news! Glad to hear you're doing well and in good spirits! *HUGS*

Paul and Elizabeth said...

HAPPY Birthday Bryant! Benjamin it would be cool to have that for a birthday present but the best present would be to wait awhile to join us here. Dawn glad to hear how well you are taking all of this, remember God doesn't give us more than we can handle and he always provides for us. I am so pleased that you are praising Him throughout this and I agree with you that maybe this is a chance to show a medical professional or someone else how strong your faith is and how awesome our Father is. I am praising Him with you and my thoughts are with you both -- you've never left my mind. Wish we could talk in person but again we send love to you both and I know that all this will work out.
Hang in there. EB

Brigitte said...

We are praying for you. Even Barrett has said prayers for his little friend Ben. :)

If you need anything, let me know.

Jenny Miller said...

Dawn, That's great news! I'm thinking about you...

Anonymous said...

We are so thankful that you are still waiting for Ben's arrival. We have been praying for you and the family. I am sad that we can't come visit - Claire has some contagious virus that produces sores in her mouth... so we will stay away till she is better. You are such a wonderful example to all of us. We love you and will continue to pray for Ben to stay where he is. Kristen